Monday, November 10, 2014

What I’ve learned since moving to D.C. (some of which should be obvious): 0065

3201.  The beer they serve at Oktoberfest (in Munich) is a special brew with a higher alcohol content (than usual);
3202.  The Germans (sure do) love their John Denver (especially “Take Me Home, Country Roads”);
3203.  German “Getränkemarkts” put U.S. beer stores to shame;
3204.  Weltenburger Kloster is the oldest monastery (existing) in the world still brewing beer;
3205.  “Mezzo Mix” tastes like Coca-Cola with a slight orange flavor (to it);
3206.  There’s (an) Oktoberfest “cocaine” made from sugar and menthol;
3207.  I need to work on my snorting skills;
3208.  Germans don’t like to use credit cards.  They prefer (using) cash;
3209.  Apparently, “schwein schnitzel” is code for “schweinshaxe;”
3210.  “Huber Weisses Original” beer is pretty tasty;
3211.  Cuban cigars (specifically Habanos S.A.’s Guantanamera Minutos) are very smooth;
3212.  You shouldn’t put your (Cuban) cigar ash in your compost bin. . . . It stinks;
3213.  When (you’re) wandering around Munich, watch (out) where you’re walking . . . (like in the Netherlands, )they have designated bike paths, where they have the right of way;
3214.  Cola-Weizen isn’t half bad. . . . It’s like a shandy made of Coca-Cola and Hefeweizen;
3215.  Europeans (sure do) love their wafer cookies;
3216.  Coaching is making players/people do what they don’t want to do so that they can become what they want to become;
3217.  Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts;
3218.  You have enemies?  Good.  That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life;
3219.  The price of greatness is responsibility;
3220.  We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give;
3221.  However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results;
3222.  In 2006, being over the NFL salary cap could have been a million-dollar-a-day fine.  For something very minor, it could be a five-thousand-dollar slap on the wrist.  If it’s something really egregious, they could take draft picks away and fine you even more than the million;
3223.  I didn’t realize how much of your “core” you use (for stability) when you’re exercising muscle groups like your chest and back;
3224.  Nick Saban was an assistant coach at Syracuse (University);
3225.  It’s interesting that we can mourn people we barely know.  I wasn’t (particularly) close to my (paternal) grandmother.  I think I may have met her (only) twice (in my life), the last time when I was eleven years old.  I can’t remember her having said a (single) word to me (in either English or Cantonese), but when I heard that she had passed, I (genuinely) felt sad about it;
3226.  According to Luisa, I have muscles (now);
3227.  Cristina Scabbia (the lead singer for “Lacuna Coil”) is rather attractive (in person);
3228.  According to Varnia (i.e., “Nadia”), I have nice hands;
3229.  Tell people what you feel and what you need.  Be honest about it.  They might dislike you for a moment, but if you’re honest, they can never fault you;
3230.  In every baseball draft year, some 1,500 players are given the chance to see which half-dozen will emerge as undeniable major league stars and which 20-30 will survive as legitimate professional ballplayers;
3231.  Things do not happen.  Things are made to happen;
3232.  As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them;
3233.  Once you say you’re going to settle for second, that’s what happens to you in life;
3234.  Chris Bukowski (from “The Bachelorette”) (actually) hangs out at Bracket Room (in Clarendon) . . . sometimes;
3235.  (I can say) I was at Nicklas Backstrom’s 500th (regular-season) NHL game. . . . Too bad, I didn’t see him get this 500th (regular-season) NHL point;
3236.  After all this time (i.e., almost two years), my heart still beats faster and my mind still goes blank when Robbie’s around;
3237.  Why are (all) sweatshirts so ugly and/or boring (especially college sweatshirts)? . . . It’s one of the great mysteries of the world;
3238.  Apparently, I need to work on my annunciation. . . . When I say “boots” (some) women think I’m saying “boobs;”
3239.  Under certain lighting, I can see the bottom of my belly button;
3240.  If you want to stick to your healthy eating regimen while eating fast food/out, follow these three guidelines: 1.  Control your calories by avoiding breaded and deep fried items and excess dressings; 2.  Get as much protein as you can; 3.  Opt for vegetables over grains;
3241.  I used to think (that) I hated to cook.  But when I thought about it, the shopping isn’t (so) bad and the cooking (itself) isn’t all that bad (either).  What (really) sucks is the cleanup.  So I really don’t hate cooking.  What I (actually) hate is doing dishes;
3242.  There are (professional,) freelance, opera singers;
3243.  (I can say) I’ve done a shot of Everclear;
3244.  Drinking a martini from a plastic cup (specifically a red, Solo cup) just seems wrong;
3245.  Megan said I look “dapper;”
3246.  Fortune favors the bold;
3247.  I don’t want to just revolve.  I want to evolve.  As a man, as a human, as a father, as a lover;
3248.  Nobody likes rejection, but you can’t be afraid of it or you’ll never move forward;
3249.  It’s not a hill, it’s a mountain as you start out the climb;
3250.  For some reason, when it’s around Halloween or Thanksgiving, I’ve got the urge to try anything that’s made with pumpkin, . . . but, at any other time of the year, I (really) couldn’t care less;

No comments:

Post a Comment